NE Dekstars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NE Dekstars

The new home of the North East Dekstars forum

+6
lynchio
Pope
kingy
Amanda
Bazza
Magpie
10 posters

Retiring from Reffing duties

Magpie
    Magpie

Number of posts : 201
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Retiring from Reffing duties Empty Retiring from Reffing duties

Post  Magpie Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm

whats that i hear you say ? ''thank god for that'' Laughing

well going to take a few days (see if the swellings go down quickly or not )to decide whether it time to hang up the stripey jersey or not,

took a battering at Rotherham yesterday and am covered in bruises! and right calf has seized up! (thank god for cruise control on the car) took 2 shots on the shin in the first game and one on the ankle! and succesive hits in subsequent games! it got to the stage where i couldn't concentrate on the game and somehow managed to chalk off a perfectly good goal by the London team against the Cubs ( i amended scoresheet at game end) and basically got to thinking i am not up to this anymore (not that i ever was).
    so sitting here with a seized up leg and can hardly move, pondering my future.
    Bazza

Number of posts : 286
    Registration date : 2008-09-07

Retiring from Reffing duties Empty Re: Retiring from Reffing duties

Post  Bazza Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 pm

You're taking the piss? We need refs, although the games are generally self policing, things do boil over now and then. I know you and Kev get some (A lot) of abuse but we need you to be a part of this.
    Amanda
    Amanda

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post  Amanda Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Mentioned to James (aka Leafy) at the tournament about the possibility of me shadowing Kev for a couple of games to work out this refereeing lark, then I could give it ago (with everyones help).

I promise I won't get too mad and send people off for looking at me the wrong way Razz
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  kingy Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 pm

It'd be a shame if you jacked it in Dave and you'd certainly be missed. Rest up and start planning where not to stand in future! Laughing
    Pope

Number of posts : 208
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post  Pope Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Looking at the list Grabham put on the forum it looked like you had a lot of games to take charge of! No wonder you took a battering, maybe it would be best not to quit, just for more refs to be available so no one is overworked in future? (apologies for not being there by the way). The more tired you get, the more you get caught in the wrong place and more prone to getting hit! It'd be a real shame to see you retire, you still have many years left!

That said, I can understand what you're saying, as the ball is something that causes me concerns at the moment with the state of my knee.
    Pope

Number of posts : 208
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post  Pope Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Amanda wrote:Mentioned to James (aka Leafy) at the tournament about the possibility of me shadowing Kev for a couple of games to work out this refereeing lark, then I could give it ago (with everyones help).

I promise I won't get too mad and send people off for looking at me the wrong way Razz
    Sounds like a good idea, it's easy to pick up if you fancy giving it a go, and it's actually a good laugh too!
    lynchio
    lynchio

Number of posts : 443

Post  lynchio Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 pm

It will be a great shame if you do Dave but thanks for all your hard work over the last few years.

Amanda - great stuff offering to step up the plate!
    freakshow
    freakshow

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2008-11-04

Post  freakshow Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:14 pm

It would be a shame for us to have to retire your water wings mate, but if you are 100% sure then I thank you for everything..
    If this is the end of your reffing days, I for one would like to propose you for a position on the new board should you be up for it..
    Bazza

Number of posts : 286

Post  Bazza Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:33 pm

If you're adamant on retirement, a presence on the bench for the next tournment wouldn't go amiss, someone with a hockey brain and to keep order. Too many people, myself, Robbo and Leafy are those I remember as standing out were shouting what could only be classed as abuse at the second line because of the circumstances surrounding the whole day. We need someone to be pointing out mistakes after the shift because there was absolutely no control or discipline amongst us on Monday, and anything that could have been classed as constructive criticism wasn't shared after the game because our heads were so low.
    Leafy
    Leafy

Number of posts : 223
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  Leafy Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Bazza wrote:If you're adamant on retirement, a presence on the bench for the next tournment wouldn't go amiss, someone with a hockey brain and to keep order. Too many people, myself, Robbo and Leafy are those I remember as standing out were shouting what could only be classed as abuse at the second line because of the circumstances surrounding the whole day. We need someone to be pointing out mistakes after the shift because there was absolutely no control or discipline amongst us on Monday, and anything that could have been classed as constructive criticism wasn't shared after the game because our heads were so low.

Agreed. That's why I started a previous post with apologies. With no-one in a senior leadership role on the bench things can get OTT sometimes.
    Lynne

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-13

Post  Lynne Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:53 pm

I hope you didn't get the Dixon red mist, Junior....... Evil or Very Mad

And Dave.... a couple of pillows strapped to your legs would work Smile
    Magpie
    Magpie

Number of posts : 201
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post  Magpie Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 am

Thanks for your comments guys,
    like i said going to take a few days to mull things over, was going to come home yesterday (am in Hull) but can't drive (leg seized up solid) Sad , so will be smelling the fish factories for a bit longer Laughing
    Helen
    Helen

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Post  Helen Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:34 am

Magpie wrote: so will be smelling the fish factories for a bit longer Laughing

The glue one's worse, from what I remember!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:35 pm