NE Dekstars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NE Dekstars

The new home of the North East Dekstars forum

+10
Mrs L
Warrior81
small but deadly
Craggles
Magpie
Helen
lynchio
Bazza
kingy
DWD
14 posters

The future of Dek - Meeting notes

DWD
    DWD
    Treasurer

Number of posts : 75
    Registration date : 2008-10-28

The future of Dek - Meeting notes Empty The future of Dek - Meeting notes

Post  DWD Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:36 am

Afternoon one and all.

I’ve been doing a little bit of thinking. Dangerous I know, but hey it’s taken me a while (and a few chats with Mr Pope).

This is a bit long winded, but stick with me?

It seems that Dek has begun to fall into a bit of a rut, folk either don’t have the time, or are looking to see if others are going to go for it before they commit.

Numbers are likewise dwindling leaving teams hard to form for the weekend. And interest is obviously waining.

So what’s the answer? What are the main issues? And how do we address them?

I’ve had a little think and the main issues, to me, fall into the categories of;

- More numbers are needed
    - Ongoing competition is needed
    - Structured team building is needed

So how exactly do we address these issues? I have a few ideas…

More Numbers are Needed

Numbers have dwindled to a point where if one or two of the “regulars” can’t make it, the game is off.. thus we need to bolster the numbers in order that we are back to the “first 10/12 people with names down” or even to where we’re having 3 set teams and a “mini league” (but that’s jumping ahead).

How do we get these numbers?

Promotion. Promotion doesn’t have to cost anything and it doesn’t need a great deal of time.

Most of us, if not all, have some form or DekHockey t-shirt or Hockey shirt.

We also have people who are involved with the Vipers in one form or another. Including Lynchio/Freak on the electronic projector?

Could we organise a designated Vipers home league game, combine efforts and make the baying public aware of DekHockey and what it’s about?

Would it be possible to gain an agreement with the club for an announcement or two at various points of the game/period breaks along the lines of..

“If you would like to try your hands at hockey, but can’t skate, why not give Dek Hockey a try? For more information see the guys from the NE DekStars in the Foyer during the period breaks”

Pope Highlighted that there is an area of the Foyer that is always empty? Would the Club/Arena be in agreement for us to commandeer a small area and have a small scale “tap about” with pucks and sticks.

People will come down, take interest, we even let the odd one join in, take their e-mail address and ask if they’d be interested in giving DekHockey a go?

Following that we contact folk mid week by e-mail telling them the time to be at the lightfoot centre and we have an “open day”?

The regulars show up, we pay our usual £3-£3.50 and we spend one Sunday session holding open rolling games for anyone new who shows up. We have enough equipment to put a few people out there at a time, even if we sit it out at times. The new ones don’t pay on their first go, but we pay our usual amount to secure the court. We coach, keep the enthusiasm and craic up, and do our best to enthuse the new folk.

You’ll find that maybe 20% of people return? however I’d say it would be enough to bolster the numbers enough to sustain DekHockey week on week.

Ok, once we’ve got the folk, what then?

Ongoing competition is needed

To get folk coming back week on week, the best way is to develop some friendly competition. This doesn’t mean designated teams.

It can mean, however, a points system.

It is of course open to discussion, but we would record Goals + 1 assist. Points for each, but goals counted per player.
    We keep a competitive table

Code:
    Player   Played   Goals   Assists   Won   Points

1 point for a goal
    1 point for an assist
    1 points if you are on the winning team

As such if you work to a win, you gain points regardless if you score or not.

You could make it 2 points per person for a win, and you could reward netminders by giving them points for a shut out, or for conceding less than 4 goals?
    But how simple or complicated you make it is up to ourselves.

Recording points is easily policed. If we have a ref, it takes 10 seconds for them to jot it down.. or someone on the sidelines.
    Even if that doesn’t happen, it is easily discussed on the forum after a game, I’m certain after games everyone here knows how many assists or goals they got in the game. It’s simply a case of jotting it down on the forum. For example.

Whites 3

DWD – Lynchio
    Lynchio (UA)
    Leafy – Redwing

Reds 2

Frank – MarkyMark
    Freakshow – GRF

The result of that would give –

DWD, Leafy, Redwing 2 points
    Lynchio 3 points
    Frank, MarkyMark, GRF and Freak, 1 point

There’s little chance of people “claiming points” because we’re all in the game, and we all know/see how points are scored and by who. So it is self policed!

This leads to open competition. It will allow people to develop their own points scoring.. drive them to make the next game so as not to slip behind in their points tally.. and allow us to see who influence the games. All for a bit of craic.

Team Structure

This is far down the line, but if our promotion and recruiting is successful, it may lead us to developing 2 or 3 “set teams”… this would allow us to have an ongoing series or a mini 3 team league. (granted I think for a team we would need 7 people to account for folk not being able to make it.

This would come together after a draft and maybe allow us to have “3-month seasons”, before rejigging the teams.

This is far down the line, but again its all based on the promotion?

-----

This is of course all just the ramblings of a bored Irishman, however I think with a little bit of promotion and a restructuring of our systems.. Dek could take off again and we could end up with regular competitive games and a lot of good fun.

I welcome your thoughts, arguments, ridicule.

Paddy
    DWD
    DWD
    Treasurer

The future of Dek - Meeting notes Empty Re: The future of Dek - Meeting notes

Post  DWD Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:38 am

I'd also suggest some form of "AGM" type meeting in a pub in town somewhere before/after a Vipers game to discuss these issues and form agreement?

But again.. just a suggestion.
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  kingy Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Sounds good to me. I definitely think we need a push for recruitment. We could also advertise at Whitley and the Lightfoot for new players.
    Bazza

Number of posts : 286
    Registration date : 2008-09-07

Post  Bazza Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:04 pm

There are flyers for almost everything at the Lightfoot apart from DEK hockey, I'm sure we could talk the Lightfoot into letting us pop a few into the racks on the walls each week. Some kids might be interested in having a look along even if they have never seen hockey.

Would it be possible to get something put on the big screen at the Vipers home games?
    lynchio
    lynchio

Number of posts : 443

Post  lynchio Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:36 pm

Not going to post a lot at this point mainly cos I'm knackered!

Some great ideas there paddy, I am happy to work on a flyer to put in the Lightfoot and even to hand out at games. Maybe even have a chat with Andy Blackwell about putting something in the programe. Hell even send a couple of the Vipers a message on facebook and try and get their asses along for the "open session".

I'll post more when my brain isn't addled but will start some work on a flyer tomorrow. can anyone print off some sneaky flyers at work? I would but I'm going for a promotion and in a building with about 800 people we only have 2 working printers!!!! Mad
    Helen
    Helen

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Post  Helen Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 am

lynchio wrote:

I'll post more when my brain isn't addled but will start some work on a flyer tomorrow. can anyone print off some sneaky flyers at work? I would but I'm going for a promotion and in a building with about 800 people we only have 2 working printers!!!! Mad

I can do that - just need to put some dosh in the telephone tin!! If you e-mail it to me I can get it copied on either white or coloured paper (mind you, we're running short of good colours at the mo.). Don't make the print too dense, though, cos it makes the copy printer seize up. And I can only do black printing.

Also - don't mind standing at the MRA giving them out.
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:34 am

I suggest we target the Vipers game on the 16th November with the intention of holding the open morning on the 23rd November (Vipers at home to ???? according to the website. That gives us a week and a bit to get sorted with a flyer and for me to speak to Ali about us having a corner in the arena.
    Magpie
    Magpie

Number of posts : 201
    Registration date : 2008-09-09

Post  Magpie Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:43 am

some good points Paddy,

i have put a thread on the Warriors forum to try to promote Dek .

http://www.whitleywarriors.net/bb/index.php/topic,1012.0.html
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:52 am

Magpie wrote:some good points Paddy,

i have put a thread on the Warriors forum to try to promote Dek .

http://www.whitleywarriors.net/bb/index.php/topic,1012.0.html

I have pinched some of your wording for the flyer mate.

Also email sent to Ali Cree and facebook message sent to Todd Griffith.

Flyer 1 Uploaded to http://rapidshare.com/files/160538412/Dek_flyer.doc
    Feedback appreciated promptly.
    Craggles
    Craggles

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2008-11-04

Post  Craggles Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:09 am

cant you get a shout out at the newcastle arena? get them to raise a little awareness and maybe a little stall. im sure there are alot of poeple at the arena who would love to give it a try. i wish i still lived in newcastle so i could play every weekend.
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:12 am

Reply from Vipers office

Mr Lynch,

This is not problem at all. What game would you like to flyer at? I will arrange for Griffith and one other to come along if they are fine with it as its a game day.

Ali

All systems go for promotion. Can I request that people get money to me at this weekends game so I can book the sports hall in advance.
    Voluntary donations only. Not going to force people. Looking to book for 2 hours.
    DWD
    DWD
    Treasurer

Post  DWD Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:52 am

After all that.. and you target a game I maybe can't make. *sigh*

Vic and I are intending to be in Manchester on 16th November. But that's unconfirmed.

I can certainly make and help out at the open day and will certainly volunteer the cash to book the hall.

I'm currently looking at a website structure for putting up info on Dek and a "players league table" for the point scoring Wink (slow day at work)

Will post more info when more is done.

As well as flyering, was there anything to the club with regards an "announcement" or two, or can you slip something in on the big screen?

I think this is a really good chance to bulk the numbers.
    Helen
    Helen

Post  Helen Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:59 am

lynchio wrote:[
    Flyer 1 Uploaded to http://rapidshare.com/files/160538412/Dek_flyer.doc
    Feedback appreciated promptly.

Can't get anything to happen on this - it might be the school's firewall?
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:25 am

To be honest nothing stopping us doing it this sunday too. 2 hits better than one, thats what all my smackhead friends say anyway. Paddy can you confirm Laughing .

Todd is up for it but in return wants us to try and sell some tickets to this fashion show thing (which I have asked for more info on) so watch this space on that too.
    DWD
    DWD
    Treasurer

Post  DWD Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:05 am

lynchio wrote:To be honest nothing stopping us doing it this sunday too. 2 hits better than one, thats what all my smackhead friends say anyway. Paddy can you confirm Laughing .

Absolutely!

Todd is up for it but in return wants us to try and sell some tickets to this fashion show thing (which I have asked for more info on) so watch this space on that too.

Cool.

Well if things are good for this Sunday, I'll happily show up in my Dek Shirt and hand stuff out.

Operation Dek is Go Go Go!!! Wink
    small but deadly
    small but deadly

Number of posts : 33

Post  small but deadly Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 am

Could probably print a bunch of coloured flyers off at work without any drama.
    I will chip in towards booking the court and wear the shirt to the game.

Ah bollocks that was Kingy.... must remember to check who is logged on!
    Warrior81

Number of posts : 138
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Post  Warrior81 Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:42 am

I'll wear my DEK Hockey shirt at the Warriors game this weekend and give out a couple of flyers, I'm sure I could OK that with Geraldine at Whitley, will there be flyers available at DEK on Sunday, Also there is a bunch of lads who play roller hockey on a regular basis on a Wednesday at Marden School, I will hassle them quite a bit this Sunday to try and get them to come the following week to DEK, they keep saying it is not right playing hockey without skates but I will try my BEST.
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:50 am

For those having problems downloading the file (you need to select free user etc on the link) here is a jpeg of it.......

The future of Dek - Meeting notes Dek
    Bazza

Number of posts : 286

Post  Bazza Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:10 pm

I'm heading straight to Edinburgh for a Wildcats game after DEK this week (if we get a game) but will be available to flyer next week.
    Mrs L
    Mrs L

Number of posts : 213

Post  Mrs L Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 pm

all sounds great, may i also suggest that we think about a rota for nettminding. I'll happily play in nets whenever I play but we need to organise something for another netminder, as it's not fair for one or two people to keep missing out the running around in order to get a game on. So i sugesst a rota so everyone takes their turn on a regular basis
    Helen
    Helen

Post  Helen Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Flyer looks great - but should there perhaps be a mention of the sponsors? And the Dekstars logo?
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:59 am

Flyer now with logos on.

Are we happy to print, if so those that have access to printers can you please send me an email to paulhlynch@gmail.com and I will reply with a file.

The future of Dek - Meeting notes Dekflyer

Helen has agreed to print and is now in posession of the PDF. Still awaiting a reply from Ali about leafletting this sunday. Will let you know when I get a reply.
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 am

Does someone fancy writing something for the programme? We could then ask Andy to put it in the programme.
    DWD
    DWD
    Treasurer

Post  DWD Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:43 am

Can do.

What sort of piece you looking for? How many words?

Oh and on what day was the first DekHockey session?
    Pope

Number of posts : 208
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post  Pope Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:53 am

DWD wrote:

Oh and on what day was the first DekHockey session?

Looking back through the monster thread on NEIH, the first game was Sunday 15th April 2007.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 7:26 am