NE Dekstars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NE Dekstars

The new home of the North East Dekstars forum

+11
freakshow
Magpie
ThomasBic1492
Vicarage
Lynne
Mrs L
Tazz
kingy
Bazza
Robbo
lynchio
15 posters

Ideas to move things forward.

REDWING
    REDWING

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2008-09-25

Ideas to move things forward. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ideas to move things forward.

Post  REDWING Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Like I said if you want to look at some basic stuff that could make it tighter then I can help there- nothing difficult just some stuff for those that have never played hockey before that will make the team more competitive and smarter with some sort of shape
    lynchio
    lynchio

Number of posts : 443
    Registration date : 2008-09-07

Post  lynchio Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Leafy wrote:

2. On the membership front I'm a bit torn. I agree that we need more dosh available but for some people hoying in £5 a month on top of £2.50 per hour (potentially £20 per month) is a bit excessive. I don't think JobSeekers takes playing Dek Hockey into account for me unfortunately! That obviously may not be the case for other people but until I get myself into better (employed) circumstances I can't stump up that much every month.

Some great points raised leafy but just wanted to pick up on this point.

4 week month £5 Subs + 4 x £2.50 is £15

4 week month at £3.50 is £14

5 week month £5 Subs + 5 X2.50 is £17.50

5 week month at £3.50 is £17.50

So looking at no more than an extra quid per month.

Yes if you aren't there for a couple of weeks then there is the issue that you may be losing out but generating some sort of funds is paramount to helping us move forward.

Part of the reason I want to generate funds that is if we can get 1 or 2 or even more of our players into the GB squad for next year we may be able to help with costs. This is something that would need to be agreed again at board level but this is the sort of level of planning that we need.

As Vicarage has pointed out if we can get ourselves organised and registered as a non profit organisation we can hold fundraisers and even apply for funding to help the sport grow.

Speaking to Darren today we also knocked around the idea of a joining fee, with that you would get a T-shirt, pin badge and membership card, we can take this as far as we want it guys, but that is the key...... its how far we WANT it.

Regarding 5 on 5 or 4 on 4, Darren is looking into a larger venue for us to play at.

I'm off to price up pin badges and credit card style membership cards now!!!
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post  kingy Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

lynchio wrote:
    Leafy wrote:

2. On the membership front I'm a bit torn. I agree that we need more dosh available but for some people hoying in £5 a month on top of £2.50 per hour (potentially £20 per month) is a bit excessive. I don't think JobSeekers takes playing Dek Hockey into account for me unfortunately! That obviously may not be the case for other people but until I get myself into better (employed) circumstances I can't stump up that much every month.

Some great points raised leafy but just wanted to pick up on this point.

4 week month £5 Subs + 4 x £2.50 is £15

4 week month at £3.50 is £14

5 week month £5 Subs + 5 X2.50 is £17.50

5 week month at £3.50 is £17.50

So looking at no more than an extra quid per month.

Yes if you aren't there for a couple of weeks then there is the issue that you may be losing out but generating some sort of funds is paramount to helping us move forward.

Part of the reason I want to generate funds that is if we can get 1 or 2 or even more of our players into the GB squad for next year we may be able to help with costs. This is something that would need to be agreed again at board level but this is the sort of level of planning that we need.

As Vicarage has pointed out if we can get ourselves organised and registered as a non profit organisation we can hold fundraisers and even apply for funding to help the sport grow.

Speaking to Darren today we also knocked around the idea of a joining fee, with that you would get a T-shirt, pin badge and membership card, we can take this as far as we want it guys, but that is the key...... its how far we WANT it.

Regarding 5 on 5 or 4 on 4, Darren is looking into a larger venue for us to play at.

I'm off to price up pin badges and credit card style membership cards now!!!

The cards, badges and T-shirts are all costs and will take away from the object of the membership fee IMO- raising cash. If these are things people want then great, but if the aim is to raise some dosh for the kitty, then why take it in with one hand and pay it out with the other?

What do others think?
    freakshow
    freakshow

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2008-11-04

Post  freakshow Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:56 pm

What was Gareth offering in sponsorship...????
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:58 pm

kingy wrote:

The cards, badges and T-shirts are all costs and will take away from the object of the membership fee IMO- raising cash. If these are things people want then great, but if the aim is to raise some dosh for the kitty, then why take it in with one hand and pay it out with the other?

What do others think?

The idea behind it being that people are more likely to want membership if they get something physical for their money. If you can charge £15 for a years membership for something that is costing around £7 cost then it is a good little money spinner.

Or go down the vipers route and have different levels of members ship.
    Bronze is £5 and gets you a membership card.
    Silver is £10 and gets you a membership card and a pin.
    Gold is £15 and gets you a membership card, pin and T-shirt.
    Platinum is £50 and gets you a membership card, pin, T-shirt and a share in my soul. Very Happy

In all seriousness I'm just throwing ideas out there.
    lynchio
    lynchio

Post  lynchio Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:58 pm

freakshow wrote:What was Gareth offering in sponsorship...????

It hasn't been discussed but isn't a firm offer, just a possibility.
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Post  kingy Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 pm

Stay away from levels of membership, it was a stupid idea when they did it, and it still is! Twisted Evil

I guess it's one to throw open to discussion, as surely £15 straight in the coffers is a far better moneyspinner that £8 to us and £7 to whoever?

People will buy T-shirts anyway (though for me, you can keep the badge and the card).

Quite a bit to discuss and probably vote on.
    Bazza

Number of posts : 286

Post  Bazza Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't think we should be looking at a tournament up here until we have a more suitable venue. Whilst the Lightfoot is ok for a Sunday morning hackabout the thought of a serious tournament there is worrying.

Whilst we are all in agreement about it being fun, the Fosse City lot have managed to stop it being fun and had no competitive edge. From a personal point of view, playing against Fosse City was no harder than playing against some of our weaker players.

As much as I am in favour of an A and B team, if the qualification criteria were applied this time around how many of the 12 would have made it.
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Post  kingy Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Maybe you'd have to say A team get first choice, after that, whoever wants to play gets a crack?

Another point of interest could be- how can we improve our weaker members? I certainly want to improve, but you kind of have to make shit up as you go along as I think the whole time i've been there the only person who ever game me any help was Bazza when I asked him about slapshots one time. I doesn't come naturally to everyone, so how do those players improve?
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Post  kingy Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh and while we're at it, can someone pm me with just what the fuck happened at this tournament? I realise it didn't go well, but whats all this about poor teamplay and sportsmanship? Doesn't sound like our guys. To avoid a war on the thread, if someone could pm the details, that would be nice thanks!
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Post  kingy Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 pm

A swift websearch yielded the following constitution template, which I would deem suitable for our needs.

Can people have a squiz at it and we can suggest any additions / ammendments.

http://www.clubmark.org.uk/files/resources/templates/cmk_temp10_constitution.dot
    Leafy
    Leafy

Number of posts : 223
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post  Leafy Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 pm

kingy wrote:Another point of interest could be- how can we improve our weaker members? I certainly want to improve, but you kind of have to make shit up as you go along as I think the whole time i've been there the only person who ever game me any help was Bazza when I asked him about slapshots one time. I doesn't come naturally to everyone, so how do those players improve?

I know we've tried drills pre-game before but that didn't really work out, definately won't again if we're sticking to a 1 hour time limit.

As to helping 'weaker' players, I (personally) think it depends on how comfortable/well you know the rest of the guys. I know that if I was in the position of wanting some help and ideas I may feel a little shy coming forward to someone. It also applies the other way too; I'm more than happy to help people out but I wouldn't want to just approach someone without them asking for help, just in case it looked a bit like saying "you're a bit shit, I'll make you better"
    REDWING
    REDWING

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2008-09-25

Post  REDWING Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:26 pm

kingy wrote:Maybe you'd have to say A team get first choice, after that, whoever wants to play gets a crack?

Another point of interest could be- how can we improve our weaker members? I certainly want to improve, but you kind of have to make shit up as you go along as I think the whole time i've been there the only person who ever game me any help was Bazza when I asked him about slapshots one time. I doesn't come naturally to everyone, so how do those players improve?

Yep we can improve , but we have to want to, I have some ideas about positioning and forward and defensive play, and I am happy to do so , but if folks are happy just having a sunday game fine, add that to the fact that my other coaching commitments and juniors are priority....although that might be an issue next season....I can't be there all the time is it wanted
    Tazz
    Tazz

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2010-03-19

Post  Tazz Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:38 pm

kingy wrote:A swift websearch yielded the following constitution template, which I would deem suitable for our needs.

Can people have a squiz at it and we can suggest any additions / ammendments.

http://www.clubmark.org.uk/files/resources/templates/cmk_temp10_constitution.dot

Very scary I have that exact same document on my laptop from previous roles, here is an example of a reworded version.

http://www.londonsharks.co.uk/?constitution,16

Very much the same just worded to suit the club.
    Lynne

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2008-10-13

Post  Lynne Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Would you like me to look out the original constitution that I wrote for the Cobras supporters club? It would have to be adapted for sport but it should be a doddle.

However, if you are constituted, how would insurance play in this?
    Tazz
    Tazz

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2010-03-19

Post  Tazz Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 am

Have been chatting with old club chairman and previous president of GBFUA.
    He has said he would be happy to give guidance in what we could/should do to take the club forward and to give us some structure.
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Post  kingy Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 am

Lynne wrote:Would you like me to look out the original constitution that I wrote for the Cobras supporters club? It would have to be adapted for sport but it should be a doddle.

However, if you are constituted, how would insurance play in this?

Insurance wise, I think we should divest ourselves of liability via the membership form. Anyone signing up must do so at their own risk and the club accept no liability for injury sustained blah blah blah.
    kingy
    kingy
    Admin

Post  kingy Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 am

REDWING wrote:
    kingy wrote:Maybe you'd have to say A team get first choice, after that, whoever wants to play gets a crack?

Yep we can improve , but we have to want to, I have some ideas about positioning and forward and defensive play, and I am happy to do so , but if folks are happy just having a sunday game fine, add that to the fact that my other coaching commitments and juniors are priority....although that might be an issue next season....I can't be there all the time is it wanted

I'd say some flying visits and observations would be handy if you don't mind doing it. Some basic feedback on how to play better as a team would go a long way to improving performance at tournaments and probably wouldn't do any harm to the fun factor on a Sunday either.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:47 am